From behind the scenes, to the crew on the ground, our team of experts are ready to help you dig deep.
- Roland Kugelmann has lived in Cape Town all his life. Born to German parents, he was raised in
the northen suburbs and after his national service travelled and worked abroad extensively.
- He has a mechanical background, but focused his attention on the construction industry.
- He has over the last 20 years, gained vast knowledge in the building industry and has a successful construction company which boasts an impressive portfolio.
- Roland’s strengths are his leadership skills, his ability to identify and find solutions on site and his
reliability to perform under pressure. He has a solid reputation and insists on delivering work that is
of a high standard. He will not compromise on quality.
- Roland, together with a partner, purchased Shelton Drainage Solutions in 2005.
- Shelton Drainage Solutions specializes in sports turf drainage to existing and new sports fields and complexes.
- The company was very involved with the 2010 Soccer World Cup and successfully completed the drainage to 18 of the venues across the country, as well as Swaziland. These included amongst others Loftus Versfeld and Orlando stadium.
- The company has also provided drainage solutions to all of the venues for CSA (Cricket South
Africa) and was instrumental in solving the most recent drainage issues to Kingsmead and St
Georges Park. Other venues include Newlands Cricket grounds and Supersport Park.
- Roland has always been innovative and, with the looming drought that was gripping the
Western Cape, decided to invest in borehole equipment to assist individuals and companies with water security.
- Existing staff in SDS had been operators on borehole rigs so it was a natural progression and soon thereafter the first rig was purchased.
- The demand for drilling deeper holes meant that larger equipment was required and soon
thereafter Nomad Drilling was born.
- Steven started in the construction Industry after arriving in South Africa from Scotland in January 1982. He qualified in 1987 as a Construction Surveyor and was seconded the following year by LTA (Grinaker/LTA) as one of ten Quantity Surveyors to the joint venture construction with Major French company, Comiat, of the new Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town. At the time it was the single biggest building contract in South Africa.
- In 1988 Steven was approached by the Basil Starke Group and started as a Contracts Surveyor. He flourished in this position and held it for 6 years.
- He left the group in 1994 he left the group to pursue a new position which offered growth into a partnership. Here he climbed the ranks from Contracts Surveyor to Senior Surveyor, Chief Contracts Surveyor/Commercial Director and finally to Managing Director.
- In August 2015 Steven joined the listed Group GPI Investments (Pty) Ltd as a Senior Contracts Surveyor, and very shortly thereafter, was promoted to Executive Head of the Properties Team. Here he headed up their Turnkey Unit and successfully launched three major international food brands within the group.
- Steven recently headed back to his roots, jointly assisting in consulting within both the construction industry and the borehole and water reticulation industry, with the assistance of two strong partners.
- Alan is a Chartered Accountant by profession. He is an Executive Director of Dale Capital Group, a publicly-quoted private equity investment holding company.
- Alan was previously the CEO of Grand Parade Investments Ltd, prior to which he was the CEO of Nolands South Africa, where he served his articles and subsequently became a partner in 1998, Director in 2001 and CEO in 2008.
- Alan has served on several boards, gaining experience in varied industries from food and retail, manufacturing, property funds, insurance and various service industries.
- With experience in both corporate and private company environments, Alan understands the need for entrepreneurial flair, but within a disciplined framework.
- An understanding and congenial leader, Alan gets on well with people and can influence the strength of individuals. With a natural flair for presentation, he is able to influence business decisions through inspiration and vision that motivates people into action.
- Having had exposure to a wide range of industries and clients, he has expanded his leadership ability, operational management, negotiation and influencing skills as well as key stakeholder engagement.
- Alan is a strategic thinker who can manage change and influence performance effectively.